Final model Urban Beach

Final model Urban Beach

Final model Urban Beach

Final model Urban Beach

'Playful' sketch model

'Netting' sketch model

'Netting' sketch model version 2

'Fossil' sketch model

19/01/18

I went to Granary square to observe and take pictures of my site, and also observe the flow of people through the area. Through recording my site, I was able to notice certain habits of the people who use the space, and where the majority of the people spent there time in the square. From this I observed:

• The majority of people were grouped round the fountains, and sat on the stone benches surrounding them . In summer this is more apparent, with children playing in the fountains and the parents sitting on the benches.
  • The benches are also used by students and teachers of CSM to relax and eat lunch outside.
  • The area of the fountain acts as the main social interaction hub between social groups of all ages and backgrounds.
  • Other areas of high people density were on the steps down by the canal, and, which is south facing, so people can sit and socialise in the sun.
  • The site of granary square is very open- there is no cover/shelter apart from the trees in the corner. It's open to wind and rain, which in summer can mean that less people are likely to stay for long amounts of time.

The inside of CSM provides activities such as table tennis to have passers by engage in social interactions, which is not apparent outside, as there is no activities to engage in.

From looking around and seeing how people use the space first hand, I can now start to generate ideas based of what I have seen from the site. From this observation, I have become curious about the fountain area, and how it can be a focal point for social activity, and that I can perhaps design something that can further encourage this by  creating shelter an a space for social activities whilst also incorporating the fountains into this.

16/01/18

Today was my last day before my interview, so I used this time to produce more sheets, and re-do others to get them up to a certain standard. In order to do this, I was told by my tutor to look more into the layout of images, and combining pictures and drawings to produce mixed media sheets that clearly showed my ideas and thought process from one sheet to the next. I also decided to redo some sheets from earlier projects, and changed the model pictures from colour to black and white in order to look more profession, which was the advice given to me by one of the AA students on Monday.

I have also spoke with my tutor regarding what order to present my projects, and specific things to show and speak about, and have also researched various types of architecture and buildings in preparation for any questions that might come up.

Final model Thresholds

Final model Thresholds

Final model Thresholds

Design sheet Malevich model

development model thresholds

Change, Architectural graphics, Isometric exploded view with plan

Kazmir Malevich painting

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Supremitist model

Site visit Archway

site visit Archway

site visit Archway

urban density final model

urban density final model

urban density final model

urban density final model

site map and photos design sheet dense city

research design sheet dense city

21/11/17 draping model

21/11/17 draping model

21/11/17 draping model

21/11/17 draping model

20/11/17 site plan

20/11/17 site plan

29/01/18

After finishing our last project, I started to create design sheets by picking out the important aspects and steps in my project, and displaying them in a clear format on my sheets. I tried to improve upon sheets made in previous projects by using feedback given to me by both my tutors and visiting CSM ba Architecture students, which was to include more multi media drawings and sketches, but refine it down so that it is simplistic and highlights what information you are trying to show on the sheet.

I chose information such as my site analysis pages from my sketchbook to put o the sheets, showing the measurements of Granary Square, as well as the surrounding buildings and a people density map, in order to highlight that the majority of people in summer are found around the fountain area, and on the stone benches. I decided to do a few sheets on Granary Square, showing site observation and analysis with one sheet containing primary and secondary photos, with a sketch of the fountains and surrounding area.

I also created collages of initial research for the British seaside, including graphs such as the Butler Model, which describes the rise and fall of tourism in an area, a stage where the British seaside town is now on the decline. Since the idea of a design sheet it to simplify the information in your sketchbook, I decided to take elements of my sketchbook and display them more clearly on sheets, such as my idea development pages. On this sheet, I simplified the annotations made to the design, and clearly laid out the materials used, as well as how the space would be used.

I need to get feedback from my tutors in regards to the layout and sizing of my images, in order to prepare for my CSM interview.

25/01/18

After coming up with initial ideas and renderings, I started to think how I could develop these 2D drawings into my 3D final model. When speaking to my tutors, They suggested that I develop my idea of using the curve as inward seating overlooking the fountain, which would create an inclusive space and could seat more people.

From this conversation, I decided to look into different spaces and buildings that used integrated steps and curves, both to see how this was achieved, and whether or not it looked good, and functioned as it should. I then started to develop my model, using foam board and black mounting card as the base, from which I then drew on the surrounding buildings of granary square, so that my design was the only thing three-Dimensional on the model. 

From creating this model, it allowed me to visualise my design clearer, and see how it would look, by being able to see all angles and areas of the design. After taking pictures, I inserted scale figures into the pictures to show both the scale and proportion of my model, but also to demonstrate how the space is used by the public, by having figures sitting on the model, and people using the spaces underneath the curves.

I am pleased with my final outcome, as it responds to the brief by encouraging social interactions between different social groups as well as establishing sustainability through the materials used, as well as its effect on the immediate environment around it. I feel that my idea has ben able to improve the area of granary square for its users by creating shelter and places for interaction, as well as places to rest and play, whilst providing for the needs of the people in the area, such as dryers to dry off after playing in the fountain.

To improve this project, I would perhaps start to look at using more of my sketch models to help develop this concept, such as the paradise sketch model, whereby I could look at developing not just the space underneath the curve, but the space on top of it; creating more than just seating but a more interactive space that could be used as a play space for children on top of the curve. I would also produce more observational drawings of Granary Square, in order to demonstrate an understanding of the site and surrounding area better.

I also need to create design sheets for this project, showing my thought process, as well as site analysis, in order to show the development of my model.

24/01/18

Continuing on from making my sketch models, I chose the ones that I found the most interesting, which were the boat and netting models, and started to put them into my site and develop them into ideas. When thinking about the seaside, I started thinking of fishing boats and nets, and wanted to use this as a start point for my idea. My sketch model for the word' Boats' was a curved shape, which was inspired by the abandoned overturned boats that you see at the seaside. For me, I always found this nostalgic, as I felt it reflected an old culture that had died out, where local fishermen would catch the fish and sell them to the local shops, which would then sell them to tourist, thus meaning that the money stayed in the region and benefited the local people. I decided I wanted to take this nostalgic image and reimagine it into a place of community and fun. When I looked at the curve, it also reminded me of a wave, and so I started to look at the connection in form between the two. What I came up with was a curve that resembled an upside down boat at one end, which then sloped down into the fountains, and reappeared at the other end, but a smaller version, so that it looked like it was going underneath the pavement.

The smaller end would contain blowdryers that hung overhead, so that people could stand underneath them and dry off if they had been playing in the fountain. The larger end could have an internal space under the curve, which would provide shelter. I also thought about social interactions and how there could be activities such as table tennis, which can be seen in CSM, which would help different social groups interact with each other. I also thought about how I could use the netting, and decided I could either create a net climbing frame over the fountains for children to play on, or create net hammocks underneath the curve for people to chill, and provide extra seating. As both curves face inwards towards the fountain, I thought how I could use this shape, and came up with either an additional place of play, by creating slides that children could play on, or change the curve into staggered seating to provide seating for parents watching their children play.

Now that I have come up with a development if my idea, I now need to take this back into a 3D format and start experimenting with model making.

23/01/18

After coming up with initial sketch models, I decided to look into the site of Granary square more, specifically looking at measurements of the area, and also recording the density of people in different areas. I was able to create my own map of the area, showing the surrounding buildings with their relevant distance from each other, as well as measurements of the fountains. I also produced a map showing the people density in the area over summertime, which I was able to as I has visited the area in summer before, as well as looking at photographs of the area in summertime and observing the area now. From this I was able to produce a colour coded map, with red showing a high density of people in a certain area, orange showing medium density, and green showing low density. The main high density areas I identified were the area of the fountains and the steps down to the canal, which are the two main areas people interact in.

From this, I was able to decide where I wanted my design to go , and how this would affect the density of people in that area. I decided, rather than trying to increase the density in a low density area, I wanted to focus on a high density are and design something that can make the space more inclusive/ enjoyable, as there were some problems and issues with the site I had identified on my initial site visit, such as no shelter around the fountains, and nowhere for children to dry off after they play in the fountains. Creating this map has helped me realise the area of the site I want to design in, and what I need to fix/improve in my site, that can influence my design.

'Paradise' sketch model

'Boats' sketch model

22/01/18

We started off with an exercise that was supposed to help us generate quick ideas, by continuously writing connotations of the beach, and writing the first thing that comes into our head and continuing the train of thought. By doing this we came up with different words that had connections to the beach, which we then started to refine by picking out the most relevant ones. Finally we selected what we thought was the 5 most relevant and created a sketch model for each word, trying to depict it. My 5 words I chose were:

• Paradise
  • Fossil
  • Netting
  • Playful
  • Boats

We were only given a small amount of time to create these models out of paper, which encouraged us to create our first impressions of the word an to not think too much into it. My initial sketch models were very much based off the initial form when I thought of the word, and took words such as netting and fossil very literally into 3D form.

From making these models, I started to experiment with scale by placing figures in amongst my models to show the size and proportion of them, which varied across each model. For my netting model, I make my initial model, then I decided to turn it upside down and change it, therefore experimenting different uses of it, and on different scales. From this, I can now take these initial forms and start to develop these into initial ideas for my project.

18/01/18

At the start of foundation, we were spilt into small groups, and told to briefly run through our projects with everyone, and receive feedback on what to do next. My feedback was as follows:

• complete more research around beaches and sustainability.
  • find certain projects that inspired me and start to include them in my project.
  • produce sketch models based off connotations of the beach and develop them.
  • conduct a site analysis of Granary Square and start to think about the area my design will go in.

Following on from this, I started to produce research based off connotations of the beach, and decided to start off by looking at the history of the British seaside, from the Victorian era through to present day, and how different factors have caused a declining popularity of the British seaside, as well as key characteristics of the beach. I then went on to look at things you might find at a beach, such as abandoned fishing boats and fishing nets, which I found interesting as they created distinct hollow shapes which I could base my design off. I was particularly inspired by the curve of the boats, and started to think about how I could create a shelter from an overturned boat.

I also looked at various coastal projects, with the most relevant one being BIG's Maritime Youth House in Copenhagen, where they created a raised wooden decking in order to fit boats under, and create a raised landscape that reflected the landscape of the waves. From looking at these projects I was inspired by the nature of play, and to develop this project I will look at creating something that can be linked with the fountains where children play, and will continue to research into raised structures that utilise various heights to create a landscape that children can play on, which I think would work well in the Granary square area and bring people together.

15/01/18

Today we had two AA students (A first and third year), and a first year CSM student come in, all of whom had previously completed the foundation at CSM, and who came in to show us their projects, and to give us advice and feedback on our own work.

I found this to be really useful for me, as I was able to see both their work on the foundation, as well as their work within the AA, and see how they developed their own projects and ideas, as well as how they presented them. For the AA projects, I noticed how the presentation was more refined and accurate, using scale and proportion in the drawings, and including a lot more computer aided design and technical drawings of plans, sections, and elevations.

The feedback I received for my work was that I should try and create a hierarchy of information for my design sheets and sketchbook, and prioritise certain information over other's. I was also told that my strength was in model making and photographing my models, and that I should emphasise this for interviews.

As well as this I got a chance to ask them questions about the AA, and what it is like to be a student there. overall this was a valuable experience in order to get an insight into the AA as well as have AA students review my work. I can now take this advice forward in order to improve my work intake for my interview on Wednesday.

Final model Thresholds

Final model Thresholds

Final model Thresholds

development model thresholds

development model thresholds

development model thresholds

development model thresholds

14/01/18

Over the weekend I spent some time redoing and improving my design sheets for upcoming interviews, as well as making additional ones to help explain my thresholds project further. This included rearranging the layout, as well as reprinting model pictures in black and white in order to look better and stand out.

I also improved some sketchbook pages, by annotating maps to make my site clear and visible, as well as creating and collaging my own map to highlight the blockage and how users would access this space behind it, as well as improving sketches across various different projects.

Having done this using feedback off my tutors, I hope this will help me at interviews when I have to present my work, and will hopefully give me a stronger portfolio to show.

11/01/18

After todays critique, I was able to receive valuable feedback from both my tutors and peers, as well as individuals from the BA Architecture course at CSM.  The feedback was as follows:

• Dont strive for aestheticism on your design sheets, only put down information that tells the viewer information.
  • Find different ways to highlight your obstruction on your model other than making it a different colour, as this can be misconstrued as a design feature. Instead try to edit it on photos, or draw onto photos to make obstruction stand out.
  • Don't just print off pictures of maps, put your own style onto it by either tracing or drawing onto it.
  • Think about spacing on design sheets, don't make them too cluttered, and think about the most important image in correlation to size of the image.

If I could improve any aspect of my project, I would try to improve the quality of the model making, specifically the finishes to the steps, and gap in the wall where the stairs fit through, as the shape on the wall didn't exactly match the shape of the stairs, meaning that it was not a flush finish.

I also need to improve my design sheets, as well as add a few diagrams in my sketchbook to help explain my ideas and drawings.

6/01/18

I continued to develop my design sheets for idea development and for my site, using pictures and drawings from my sketchbook, as well as my own drawings, to show how the project and my ideas has progressed throughout.

I planned my sheets before to ensure that the layout was effective, and tried to take my tutors comments of moving away from stiff looking sheets, towards, a looser, multimedia style, on board.

My idea development sheet showed renderings which I drew myself, as well as pictures of my development model to support my drawings and design. I also included alternate ideas that I had come up with, including research pictures and the Malevich model collages that inspire the ideas.

I now need to come up with a final model to scale, and improve upon my developments in order to produce a final outcome.

4/1/18

After presenting my project so far to my group and my teacher, I was given feedback on what I could improve upon. The feedback criteria was as follows:

• Make certain elements of my collage stand out by tracing over the composition to bring out certain elements.
  • Improve model photography by taking pictures with a lower angle to make it look bigger and give it a sense of scale, as well as making sure the lighting is well set up.
  • collage my development model in with my site using tracing paper.
  • Develop more design sheets, using a less rigid style, including more multi media. use RIBA Presidents Medal website as a reference/inspiration.

I was able to improve my collage whilst making the design more integrated with the site through tracing paper, and was able to give the design some depth through shading and outline. I have also started to collage my development model and site together, but I still need to produce a final site model and design to scale, as well as produce design sheets.

3/1/18

After completing my Malevich rendering I moved forward with my development model and design sheet. My initial model was based of my second idea, which involved a swinging wall and stairs. The model was made at 1:100 scale, and I only picked out the section of the wall as it was the only relevant area that I was adapting. Creating this model allowed me to actually visualise my design, as well as help solve any initial problems in the design. One example of this would be the configuration of the stairs, as originally I had pictured them being cut in a straight parallel rectangle. However, upon assembling my model, I found that while this worked when the panel was flat against the wall, when the panel was pulled out it created a triangular shape that the rectangle didn't fill, leaving gaps that would make it dangerous to walk up. For that reason, I decided to widen the bottom and narrow the top so that when the panel swings out it is a flush fit.

I created a design sheet demonstrating my Malevich model, which had the composition laid out with pictures of my model up the left side and across the bottom, with the original painting at the top. This left a space which I drew an exploded isometric drawing of my model, detailing the base of the model, as well as the isometric drawing.

To progress I need to make more design sheets that show research, idea development, and eventually the final outcome

2/1/18

After making my Malevich model and and collaging it into my site, I then took inspiration from elements of this collage, as well as from previous architects  and projects I have looked at; such as Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Bilbao and Future systems design for the Comme de Garçons store entrance. These thresholds, combined with my own collage helped me come up with initial idea's, the first being inspired by Gehry's use of curved panels in his work that slot together. I used this curved panel idea to create a glass panel curving off the wall of my site. By demolishing a section of the wall, this both creates an opening, as well as allowing the panel to connect to the wall. As the panel curves down and joins the ground, it creates an opening underneath it, where stairs that slot into the corner allow the user to access the space behind the wall. As well as this, I also thought about having the panel curve round to form a tunnel, like that of the Comme de Garçons entrance. This way, it provides cover for the user against the weather.

Another idea I came up with drew inspiration from a section of my Malevich model, which was inspired by the entrance to Tadao Ando's Church of Light, as the entrance is based on interlocking panels that slot together at different angles, and an opening in one of the walls allows creates a simple yet interesting entrance. I took this use of slanted walls and entrances and combined these movements with having a rotating stairs that can be moved through a slot in the wall. users enter by having the panel open out, which intern pulls the staircase through the slot in the wall onto their side. They then go through the panel and up the stairs. In order to get down the other side, the panel swings back in, which in turn pushes the staircase through the slot and out onto the other side  of the wall. This design aims to create a system which transfers people from one side of the wall to the other, whilst keeping a boundary up, as the stairs can only be accessed one side at a time, meaning that it regulates the number of people who cross over, providing privacy for neighbouring apartments.

The Malevich models have proved useful in helping me to see how a basic wall can be broken down and shaped into an entrance.

Now that I have started to develop my ideas, I need to make development models of them in order to visualise them in 3D, and complete design sheets for this project.

27/12/17

After creating a model in response to the Malevich paintings, I then created a series of collages, using images of my site and the model in order to create ideas of thresholds from different angles. I cut up images of my model, and combined them in various ways that fitted together in the space of my site. my aim for these collages wasn't to focus on realism but to show in abstract form how different thresholds can be made on different levels, using the structure of the Malevich paintings, which are very linear.

As my site is a wall with a building directly behind it, so the threshold will need to create an entrance on a higher level to allow people over the obstruction of the wall. These initial collages are the beginning of the initial ideas process, as just by moving around and creating different combinations already makes me start to look at different possiblilities of form. The collage is a form of rendering that allows the design to be seen in its surrounding environment, and I found this process useful as it allowed me to use various designs in my site area, and gives a rough impression of how they will look.

To continue with this, I will start to produce initial ideas of various designs, as well as starting to move this process onto 3D media, such as sketch models.

7/12/17

Today we looked at orthographic and isometric projections as a means of communicating drawings in a three dimensional way, as well as communicating scale and height and depth. For this type of drawing, buildings are usually drawn from a corner, with a Y shape axis as the two sides of the building split apart in a V shape. We were shown examples of different orthographic drawings by Ching; with exploded views that included floor plans, so that the drawing communicated as much information about the building as possible. on the presentation, Ching talks about projecting one plane out, so that the plans can be used as the base on the building, and can show accurate measurements. Explode or extend views can show structural and internal elements that may have now been visible, or hard to visualise on just normal plans and orthographic drawing.

The presentation also showed how to lay out different drawings together, such as lining up different elevations so that the height and the dimensions match and continue on to each drawing.

We then practiced this on our our models, using the measurements we took from them. I found this to be quite difficult as my model was quite complex, and various parts came of it at different angles, which made it hard to draw accurately. however, I felt like I was able to grasp the basis of the orthographic  drawing and projection, and this was a good exercise to get us thinking about showing our models in 3D through drawing accurately.

To progress with this project, I still need to create a collage of my site and my supermitist model, as well as start to produce some design sheets on research.

5/12/17

Today we used supremacist paintings created by Kazmir Malevich, and picked out the main shapes of the painting, and used it as a plan to create a model for a threshold. The suprematist movement was based around abstract art and cubism, and looks at 2D block shapes, predominantly rectangles and circles. Kazmir Malevich's paintings helped inspired Zaha Hadid's paintings and style. By using the paintings as a plan, it allowed us to already have a set layout, but we were free to interpret the plans as we liked and create different shapes underneath, not just layer up the existing shapes. How I chose to interpret this layout was to create a design to quite a large scale, using 1:100 figures in my pictures, and using the vertical planes as well as horizontal to create walls that came down and created an obstacle in my site, which was then made accessible by creating entrances and opening up the vertical walls. I created very angular surfaces that contrasted with the usual right angle cuts, in order to create interesting slanted openings, inspired by the offset walls in Tadao Ando's church of light entrance.

I liked this task, however I struggled to produce my model quickly , as my model making skills still needs some improvement, and the accuracy of my foam board cutting could be improved also. I still need to produce plans, sections and elevations of this model, as well as make a collage of this and my site. If I were to do this task again I would experiment more with different levels of height, in order to create thresholds and entrances at different levels, as my site will require a raised threshold in order to access the raised level behind the wall.

4/12/17

today we focused on looking at plans, sections, and elevations, as ell as continuing with looking at scale and proportions, and transferring the measurements of our sites into drawings. We were shown different examples of plans, sections and elevations, and were shown how they work and what they portray, such as structural elements and wall thicknesses.

In the Afternoon, we went over to Csm at Kings Cross, where we were given a talk from the BA Architecture tutors on the course, and got to speak to students on the course an see their work. I found this really interesting and useful, as I was able to gain an insight to the course content, as well as hearing the students experience of the course, as well as speaking to them about their application and interview experience. The work we saw was a first year and third year, and I was interesting to see how the exercises that we do on foundation related to the degree course, such as site visits and model making, and how they analyse the site and the social and cultural aspects before deciding what can be done to the site.

After the talk, I went to the csm library to conduct secondary research into doorways and entrances. using the library search system, I was able to pinpoint and refine my search in order to find relevant research for my project. The most useful book I found was 'Contemporary Doorways', by Catherine Slessor, which I found helpful, as it was mostly an image lookbook, with sections of text explaining the building and designer. These variety of images have shown me the various ways entrances can be formed, and the different types of connections that can be made across different spaces. From reading this book, it has given me inspiration for my own project and site on how I can create a threshold between two spaces.

To progress with this project, I need to gather more information and measurements about my site, and to then go on to start making models.

1/12/17

After measuring sites in Archway, we were asked to find, measure, and record a site of our own. The brief told us that the requirements were that we were to find an obstruction in the site and open it up. After looking around at various buildings and openings, I eventually settled on a wall in my halls that separates the courtyard with a space behind it, that if opened up could create more space for students. I found choosing a site hard because I was unsure if I had to choose an existing threshold, or choose an obstruction that could be turned into a threshold.

At first, my photos were not clear or great quality as the light had gone, so I took some during both night and day. When producing observational drawings, I tried to focus on producing mainly line drawings as I wanted to work on my line drawing skill and quick observation. I was able to present my site in a variety of different ways, using ordinance survey maps and plans of the site, where I am able to capture different areal shots  and angles that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to get from primary images.

When measuring, I found it difficult to measure the heights and lengths of long walls, as the tape measure didn't stretch that far, and so the measurements might be slightly inaccurate. For the height of the surrounding buildings, I measured the size of one brick, then counted how many bricks there were in the height and width.

Next time, I think I would pick a site that was more 3 dimensional than just a wall, as this would provide more interesting plans, sections, and elevations, as well as provide a more interaction site to open up and create a threshold in.

site visit Archway

30/11/17

Today we presented our research to the class, which was interesting to see, as everyone had a different take on thresholds, with some focusing in interior space and establishing boundaries, and others focusing on entrances, getting rid of boundaries, and connecting the inside and outside together. We were then asked to  go out into Archway, and record different thresholds, by measuring, drawing, photographing, and producing rubbings. The site we chose was an entrance to a block of flats , where we created observational drawings, and attached dimensions to the drawings that we measured with a tape measure. We also took rubbings of the brick to record the material used. Our tutor explained to us that this was a way of recording the most information about the site in order to make accurate plans and models to scale.

When we came back we then looked at measuring the studio room, and looked at using the method of triangulation to calculate lengths with the walls might not be right angle to each other. Initially I struggled with the concept of this, but after putting it into practice I was able to see the logic behind it, and was able to produce scale plans of the room at a 1:100 scale.

Found today useful and learnt about recording a site, and about surveying, measuring, scale and proportion; all of which are very important in Architecture. This will also help me to record and survey my own site, as well as help me to draw to scale in the future.

29/11/17

Yesterday we were given the research task for our new project, which is titled 'Thresholds'. The brief was to gather primary and secondary research around different threshold's, and to look at different designers work and how they create a link between different spaces. Through conducting secondary research, as well as seeing the images on the brief presentation that was given to us, enabled me to research a broad variety of designers and images that I consider relevant. I have looked at a range of architects, from Frank Lloyd Wright's entrance to Falling water, which is based upon Japanese design and aesthetics, using raised platforms and entrances, with covered porches and cantilevers that extend out, help divide up the entrance, and different zones of the house.

Some other entrances that interested me was Adaye Associate's proposal for the national Holocaust Memorial Entrance, which uses individual panels slotted together to form multiple entrances underground. I also liked the Termeh Office building by Farshad Mehdizadeh and Ahmad Bathei, in which they create a facade that allows the user to ascend to the upper floor by climbing steps made by the bricks in the wall.

All these images has helped me understand what is meant by the term threshold, seeing the different designs has made me realise what can be done to design interesting and better thresholds that form entrances to places. Hopefully I can take this research and use it as inspiration for this project when asked to design my own threshold.

28/11/17

Today was our crit for the urban density project, which began with our tutor splitting us into groups, and each of us explaining our projects to one another.I found it interesting to see how other people had interpreted the brief, as we were all given the same brief but our projects were vastly different. I also found it interesting to see the different scales people worked in, which was reflected in their models, with sites being a gap between two buildings, a street, or two different neighbourhoods. The feedback I received from my group was that the liked the idea development and layout of my design sheets, but that I should consider using a different material other than plastic to make my model.

We then went round everyones individually, and the tutors gave us feedback, and engaged in discussion with each o us about our projects, which I found really interesting to hear their comments and take on a variety of projects, and hear what they would do to make the idea better. For my project, my tutors noted how I had tried to create a communal green space for an overhead site, when there was already a green space present, and suggested that for next time I look at improving the existing area rather than just make a new one.

My final outcome was a communal shared space for residents that was suspended above the ground, making it safer for residents as it is away from the streets, which was the problem with the original green area. The inside space is a green space, similar to the greenhouses in Kew Gardens and the sky gardens, which allows residents to immerse themselves in nature, offering something different to the surrounding landscape. Both the interiors and exteriors are vastly different to their surroundings, which consist of brutalist tower blocks, making the design stand out, with a noticeable regeneration to the area. After seeing a disused playground in the park of the estate, I wanted to design something that residents and children would feel comfortable and safe to use, and as my design would be made of glass, allowing for natural light and views outside, it would still feel like outdoors, but in a safer environment surrounded by nature. I hope that this design will not only connect the communities together through this new shared space, but also encourage play. The access points for the space would be on the top, middle, and bottom of the tower, and on the roofs of the connected buildings. 

urban density final model

urban density final model

27/11/17

Today I produced my final model, which showed my concept to scale in the council estate which I had been observing. I had decided to focus in own one particular area of my site as I felt that to look at the whole estate was too big for my design. Because of this, I focused in on the main tower block, and tried to connect the buildings closest to it, as shown by the coloured thread in my previous model. This meant that my idea worked better, as it was all based around connecting the main block, which meant that the flowing forms looked tidy, and less messy than if it had stretched the entire estate.

I chose to make my model out of foam board, using a template from google maps to make sure that the layout was accurate, and the used cut out shapes of the building plans stacked on top of each other to create the buildings in 3D. For my concept, I used the plastic from a pencil case, which had the flexibility, and was the look I was after, as it was clear with a grid like structure, which is what I had envisioned the facade of my concept to look like. overall, I think the model was able to portray the shape of my idea well, but not necessarily the use of it, as the scale was to small to try and show interior space. I would also change the material of the plastic to making a wire structure with a stretchy tight-like fabric pulled over it, which would enable me to show off more of the curvature that my design had intended, which I struggled to do with the plastic.

I also produced an interior shot in my sketchbook, where I got a picture of the view from the tower from google, placed tracing paper over it and created a view looking out of the building onto it, using the sky gardens and kew gardens as inspiration for my interior space, which is intended to be agreed space for residents of the connected blocks to use.

24/11/17

As we started to focus on the final outcome, I decided to prepare my design sheets for the crit, as well as continue with secondary research into different buildings and projects that inspired and related to my own. When researching, I came across projects that used similar forms that I had intended to use, such as the Dali Museum by HOK. This building uses organic bulging forms that flow or 'grow' of an existing building, which I wanted to replicate in my work.

When making my design sheets, I used gathered primary and secondary images, as well as pictures of my own collages and sketches in order to help explain and portray my idea. Whilst I felt that I had laid my ideas out clearly, I think that next time I need to use more multi media, and integrate it with my images to show more of my ideas and development as well as make the sheets more interesting.

I also revisited my sight in order to try and visualise how my structure would work and sit on the buildings now that I had an idea of what my design was going to look like, and could also work out the logistics of it as to whether or not it would be able to work and look ok in the neighbourhood.

To complete this project, I still need to develop my idea into a final design, produce interior shots in order to get more of an idea of the inside space, and complete my model.

23/11/17

Using our initial ideas we had come up with, we started to develop these further and start to produce visualisations of our designs attached and suspended onto buildings, in order to get a feel as to how they would look and fit in the space between the buildings. I developed my idea of linking  isolated buildings together through a fluid form that connects different blocks together. I used Zaha Hadid's Antwerp Port House as an example of how to add modern architecture onto an existing building, as well as Work AC's design for the DVF studio workshop; both which created suspended architecture that uses the existing building beneath it to prop it up, creating a form that latches on to the existing building.

From this, I tried to link the blocks around the main tower block together through a form that clashed with the straight lines of the brutalist architecture, as a way of reviving the area. The space inside this would be a green space that can be accessed easily from all areas of the tower block, and connects it to the other residential areas around it, and forms an connection between communities as a way of bringing them together, when I had previously noticed was the purpose of the existing green spaces that the residential areas were clumped around. From this idea, I stared to try and sketch different forms that wrapped around the buildings, with the materials that I would use for these designs being glass to allow users to be protected from the weather so as to allow the space to be used at all hours and to also allow the users to see out, which emulates the outdoors of the green space.

However, I found it hard to imagine this form in a real space, and trying to work out the logistics basing the model of of photographs of the area was difficult, but using tracing paper over the images allowed me to use the same scale and visualise it better. To continue on with this project, I need to produce more visualisations and developments, using site plans and images from the site, as well as produce floor plans and final site models.

21/11/17 draping model

21/11/17 draping model

21/11/17

The exercise we did today go us thinking about overhead spaces and linking two spaces together. The aim of the exercise was to turn a table upside down and use the legs to hang different materials across it, then turn it upside down and create a space underneath the table. The materials we used were mod roc, clingfilm and old rags in order to drape the fabric and the mod roc allowed it to dry and harden, to create arches that when flipped upside down created a space underneath. As we were not told about the process, the outcome was completely unplanned, which meant the shapes that we created were not on purpose. After tipping the table, we cut the form off and place architectural figures underneath it to demonstrate the spaces that we have created. When we laid it out, the draped mod roc had hardened to create arches that combined to create textures and waves of form, and the material of the mod roc allowed light to be let through and illuminate the space.

Initially, I struggled to understand what the purpose of this was, but, once we had turned it and placed architectural figures inside I was able to see how a form can be turned into architecture. We were also told that this is how Gaudi's work out his arches and forms, by hanging weights on Chains, the flipping them upside down, the process of which is called Catenary.

I found this experiment interesting as it helped me understand the concept of form making, and that the idea doesn't need to be thought out in order to create an overhead space. It also helped me understand what is expected for this project, and was able to give me new ideas about my project and how I can use this approach to model making.

20/11/17

Today we focused on creating visual site plan in both 2D and 3D, which emphasised the problem we wanted to solve I the area. For my site, the problem I had noticed is the space between the flat blocks, and so my idea was to create a communal space between them using different heights to bring the community together. For this I drew a 2D site plan and then drew sections and elevations to show my ideas. I also made a 3D plan, emphasising the distance between buildings from the main tower, using red thread to link the far away buildings, and green for the close by ones. This was able to visually show the distance between buildings, which helped me see the problem, and try to come up with solutions.

I initially found it hard not to just replicate the site when making my plans, but to actually emphasise its problems, and display it how I see it and portray information in the plan. I also found it quite hard to come up with alterations and ideas to expand and add on to the existing blocks, but I started to instead think about the whole site masterplan instead of the individual blocks, and thought of it as more of a terrain that buildings, which helped me visualise ideas for the area.

To move this forward, I need to start to focus on one idea, and create models and explore different materials.

15/11/17

Beginning the urban density project, our research brief told us to choose a site that could contain more people and city. For this site, I looked at a council estate near Aldgate, which was made up of various blocks of flats spaced out from one another. I chose this site because I thought that there was an opportunity to make it more dense, as well as engage separate blocks of flats to make this site one community through the use of different rights and levels in order to connect the community. When walking round the sight, I was able to take photographs of the different areas and make some observational drawings. I was able to notice the layout of the site, in which a cluster of tower blocks were all laid out around a green space, sometimes with a play area in the area. In total, there were three main green spaces that buildings were centred around, which is supposed to encourage interaction between flats, and be an area of safety for children due to the play area. I felt that this space was important, as youth crime is apparent in the area. The residents of the area are mostly muslim, and on a low income household. Because of this, the houses are designed in blocks with close quarter living to conserves space and therefor save money, but looking fat the site, I would want to extend the shared space between blocks both inside and out to create a closer community.

20/11/17 site plan

20/11/17 site plan

20/11/17 site plan

20/11/17 site plan